I was thinking a lot about reasons for someone to adopt an older cat/dog. I came to the conclusion that a lot of people think of companion animals in the same way they think about cars. The newer they are, the longer they will last! But, that’s kind of a strange way of thinking, because I think people lose sight of why they want a companion animal in the first place: companionship. I can’t imagine someone loving an animal for a year, having them pass away, and thinking "man, I can’t believe I wasted all of that money on food and it died so fast!"
I’ve had my cat for about 2 years, and if he passed away today I wouldn’t have thought our short time together was a waste.
I hear people talk about these specific things they want in a companion animal like “must be an all white female under 1 year old!” I really think you should take home the animal you fall in love with, regardless of physical qualities or age. An animal is going to love you unconditionally, so why put conditions on them?
It’s ok if you don’t agree, this is just the stuff that I think about.
(sorry, I’m at work and just scribbled this out because I needed to get it out of me!!)
Presentation is Important
Every now and then I’ll critique lettering or presentation in an amateur comic. Common problems are terrible font choices or word bubbles that are obviously an afterthought. Usually when I bring it to the person’s attention I get the reply of “it’s just a font” or “comic sans has the word comic in it, X-Men uses it” (no it doesn’t)
I want to remind anyone that has ever wanted to do comics professionally that presentation matters. Lettering matters. Coloring matters. Penciling matters. Inking matters. Editing matters. Story matters. I understand that we all want to be rock star pencillers or writers and lettering is just for peasants, but if you want to be a professional, you need to at least act like you care about what you’re doing.
Nothing says “I don’t give a shit about what my work looks like” than Comic Sans or Times New Roman in a poorly constructed word bubble. It’s all too often that people will tell me they do all their lettering at the last minute and it really shows. Don’t do that.
Here are some handy dandy tips on not only lettering, but overall presentation. (note, I am not a professional letterer so I am not an expert on the subject. But bare minimum I know how to not make it hideous)
- If the font can be used in a term paper, it does not belong in a comic.
- If the word “comic” is in the font title, that does not mean it’s a good font for comics. If you see the font being used by soccer moms in PTA letters or being used on shady business establishment signs, you probably don’t want to use it.
- Some of the best comic lettering fonts on the planet can be found at http://www.comicbookfonts.com/ they are pricey, but can be found for sale all the time. People that don’t want to spend money on fonts can find perfectly acceptable fonts at http://www.blambot.com/
- Care about text placement. There should not be 5 miles of space around your dialogue in the word bubble.
- Plan your pages better. Stop sticking 5 paragraphs into a tiny panel. That will never ever work and will waste time. If you need a lot of dialogue in a panel, draw it that way.
- Transparent word bubbles aren’t a good idea. If you didn’t want to cover the character, you should have laid the page out better.
- Colored fonts and word bubbles are rarely appropriate. Really the only times I can think of is for a really evil character. In 90% of cases, you should be smart enough to lay out word bubbles in a way that does not make it confusing for the reader. You should not need to color code dialogue like a crappy anime fansub from 2005.
- If you can’t digitally color, don’t do it in something you’re getting paid to do. No seriously. It’s too often I see someone color a comic page they intend to show prospective employers and are like “lol I’m just starting to learn to color”. No. Don’t do that. If you’re just doing it for fun as practice, that’s totally fine as obviously you have to start somewhere. But it’s not okay if you want to get HIRED for something.
- Just because you’re good at coloring traditionally, doesn’t mean you’re good at coloring digitally. They’re two different things. I’ve seen so many amazing traditional artists that apparently throw out all knowledge of color theory the second they try digital coloring. It’s normal to need time and practice to get used to it, but don’t forget your basics when you make the jump to digital. If you wouldn’t do it in a painting, it shouldn’t be in your Photoshop work.
- Hideous shape brushes and default Photoshop textures are terrible. Texture is awesome, but not when it’s a piece of crap brick or rock texture getting shat out of a Photoshop filter.
- Work at no smaller than 300 DPI if you’re working digitally.
- Scanning is not hard. Stop acting like it is. Know how to properly scan your lineart, because nothing says “I don’t want to be hired” like poorly scanned lineart. (also your colorist will stab you)
- If you’re not drawing digitally, paper choice matters. Lined paper is not okay. You don’t have to necessarily draw on fancy expensive Blue Line Pro paper, but if you have any interest in selling originals ever, don’t use shit paper.
- Buying a tablet or a Cintiq when you’re not very good at drawing will not automatically make you a better artist. I work on comics digitally for a living and I don’t even own a Cintiq because I don’t think I need it. If you want to start learning how to draw digitally, be reasonable and buy a Wacom Bamboo/Intuos. (Bamboo is dead now. The new line is Intuos and Intuos Pro, beginners want Intuos) But don’t go into it thinking it will make you a better artist. A tablet is a tool like anything else and it will not polish a turd. It’s all too often I see people starting out dumping $1000+ on a Cintiq because they think it will make them better artists. You don’t buy a fucking $2000+ guitar when you can’t even play a song.
- You don’t have to color digitally, but be aware it’s not viable for monthly comics in most cases. You can only pull it off if you are a speed demon. I only know of 1-2 artists that is able to do it on a monthly series.
Hope this is helpful! When I went to art college, teachers took off points if pieces weren’t mounted and wrapped properly. I hated it at the time, but it taught me how important it is to present your work like you care about it. The earlier you start, the better.
a little love story about mermaids and tattoos
I’m putting the usernames in a notebook to give to my family when I finally come out to them. They told me once when I was little that if I ever came out to be gay to not tell anyone because they thought I’d be judged so please reblog so I can show them that people in my generation are different than theirs.
I’m not coming out until I fill the notebook. So if you want to help?
getting an abortion does not make you a bad or selfish person.
Books I want
Hi okay, so this is my grandma. I know it isnt a very good picture but she hates photos so i dont have any other ones. Her name is Vicky and shes only 62 but about a few weeks ago she got diagnosed with lung cancer no one knew until she was in stage 3. We used to do everything together but now she cant even get up. It breaks my heart to see her in pain because i love her so much. At the moment shes in hospice and they said shes going to stay there until she dies because we can not afford treatment & because of that she needs 24/7 care. I love my grandma more than anyone and id do anything not to lose her. Its so hard to just sit back and watch her slowly die I always thought it would just happen & it be over but its not the case sadly. On 5/18/13 I lost my dad. She was the only person i could talk to about it she was always there for me & i dont want to lose her too. We need around $5,000-6,000 to get her everything she needs and with that shell be able to come home from the hospital. My aunt (her sister) had to quit her job in Ohio and come live in the Hospital with her because its getting so bad. My pap (her husband) cant help her because when he was 42, a drunk driver hit him and they said it reduced his foot bones to powder so he cant walk without severely hurting himself. As a result he cant work either. My mom is helping as much as she can but shes only a waitress and has 2 kids. Im too young to legally be allowed to get a job but im trying at some places its not going too well yet.
I know well never get the 5,000-6k in time and i still wont get it from this post but im willing to try anything to help her. I love her so so much. I wouldnt be making this post if it wasnt the last resort.
I have a donate button on my sidebar or you could go here to donate also. Anything will help thank you so much.
~MAKEUP KIT GIVEAWAY~
So my mom got me this makeup kit a while back and I have absolutely never used it. Everything is still in it’s plastic sleeves. The brand is Estēe Lauder, and the kit contains:
- a fold out mirror
- a small clutch purse
- eye makeup remover
- black + brown eyeliner
- black mascara
- 3 lipsticks (all in the red range)
- two lip glosses
- a small container of bronzer + blush
- a nice selection of eye shadows
- a full set of makeup brushes
I have never used it (the only thing I found with any makeup on it was an eyeshadow brush and I know for sure it was used as a test on my wrist and not on my eyes) and I really don’t need it. SO.
This will be a giveaway for this really nice starter makeup kit. RULES
- you must identify as trans feminine, or non binary. This is specifically a giveaway for trans or dmab nb who need makeup but can’t afford it or don’t know how to even start
- I will ship anywhere in the world
- giveaway starts 7/15 and ends 7/30
- you can reblog as many times as you want, and likes do count
- THIS IS NOT A GIVEAWAY FOR CIS FOLK. You are welcome to reblog it to signal boost, but if you are cis please say somewhere in the tags or comments so I know to pass over you when choosing a winner
- I’m expecting people to be honest with their identity but I won’t interrogate. If you feel like this is something you need feel free to enter
Signal boost - I am CIS